The paleo diet focuses on naturally raised meat, fish and eggs, fresh vegetables and fruits and healthy fats. It excludes dairy, processed sugar and legumes.
For breakfast, try these delicious coconut flour waffles, topped with strawberries or bananas and a sprinkle of toasted, shredded coconut.
By Slurrp Editorial
Updated:Mar 14, 2023
The Paleo Diet website sells several books centered around the diet and its philosophies and also features a multitude of articles that aim to help people make informed nutrition choices in accordance with the diet’s several tenets. Cordain and his team continue to improve upon the diet, actively curating lists of approved foods and making other changes to the diet’s principles in accordance with new findings.
Image Credit: Diet Meal | Image Credit: Pexels.com
These books proved to be extremely popular, garnering rave reviews, and cult followings. This trend would continue well into the 21st century, which was when a concrete description of the paleo diet and the term itself were first penned by Dr. Loren Cordain in his 2002 book, The Paleo Diet. Cordain, an American scientist specializing in nutrition and exercise, wrote about how consuming unprocessed foods such as lean meats, nuts, seeds, fruit, and low- or non-starchy vegetables can significantly lower the risk and onset of several diseases and health conditions, such as osteoporosis, heart disease, cancer, metabolic syndrome, gut inflammation, et al. Cordain has trademarked the term “The Paleo Diet” and built a company around the brand.
Egg, spinach, and tomato scramble
● Dice about 100 gms of ripe cherry tomatoes. Pan-fry with olive oil; add 100 gms of cleaned spinach once the tomatoes start to shrivel.
● Reduce heat, and add three beaten eggs; stir until cooked, adding salt when almost done. Serve with baked sweet potatoes.
Salmon filet with salad greens
● Pan-sear a 100 gms skinless salmon filet with olive oil, season with salt and black pepper. Serve on a bed of salad greens, with a wedge of lime.
Butternut Squash Soup
● Sautee 1 kg of diced butternut squash with olive oil and ghee until soft. Add a little bit of water and blend using a hand blender. Add salt, pepper, and rosemary to taste, and cook on low for ten minutes. Serve hot with a garnish of rosemary.
Pan seared pork chops with blond sauce
● Sear 500 grams of pork chops on high heat with butter. Transfer to a wire rack once both sides have browned.
Paleo Fruit Salad
● Dice 100 gms of muskmelon, toss with almond flakes, olive oil, and mint leaves. Serve cold, with more almond flakes and a mint sprig to garnish.