Article about heatlhy eating about food that is good for you
Avoid high-fat, processed foods such as fried fast foods, chips, cookies and frozen pizzas. Eat more grilled, baked, steamed and roasted vegetables. Drink fat-free or low-fat milk and yoghurt. Include low-fat sources of protein such as eggs, nuts, seeds and fortified soy products as well as fish, poultry without skin, lean meats and dairy.
- The 80/20 rule means eating nutrient-dense food 80% of the time, and “soul foods” the remaining 20%.
- Dietitian Nichola Ludlam-Raine follows the rule and eats chocolate every day.
- She also aims to eat 30 different plant-based foods throughout the week.
The 80/20 rule is a term to describe eating nutritious food most of the time while allowing yourself treats like takeout every now and again to make it easier to stick to an overall healthy diet.
Dietitian Nichola Ludlam-Raine told Insider she has followed and promoted the rule since she qualified as a dietitian in 2009, and said it can improve a person’s relationship with food because restrictive eating can result in obsessiveness and binge eating.
She said no food is inherently “good“ or “bad“, and eating healthily is all about the bigger picture: considering factors such as portion size and how often you eat certain foods.
“I eat chocolate every single day,” she said. “Just not a family-sized bar.”
If you eat nutrient-dense foods, such as whole-grains, fruits, vegetables, and lean protein 80% of the time, you can have what she calls “soul foods” the other 20%.
Food is more than just fuel, and while “soul foods” might not provide much in the way of nutrients they give us pleasure, she said.
Insider spoke to Ludlam-Raine about some of the staples she keeps in her kitchen to help her stick to the 80/20 principle.
A typical breakfast for Ludlam-Raine is oats with berries, seeds, and a bit of honey, which she said is a mid-morning indulgence.
Oats can help you to feel full for longer, and can also help to lower cholesterol.
Mixed seeds and nuts
“We should be aiming for 30 different plant-based foods throughout the week,” Ludlam-Raine said.
In one study, those who ate more than 30 different plant foods across the week had a more diverse gut microbiome — which is thought to play a role in a person’s health and risk of disease — than those who ate 10 or less.
These plant-based foods can be more than just peas and carrots, and include seeds, nuts, legumes, and grains too.
Having mixed seeds and nuts on hand are great to add to oats in the mornings, or just to snack on, she said.
For lunch, Ludlam-Raine often has avocado on toast with eggs and tomatoes, and always has seeded bread in the cupboard.
Insider previously reported that multi-grain bread contains more fiber than white bread, which is good for your digestive health. Fiber can also reduce the amount of cholesterol that goes into your bloodstream.
Hummus and carrots
If she starts to feel peckish in the afternoon, Ludlam-Raine enjoys hummus and carrots as a snack.
“One of my mantras is protein and produce,” she said, and she incorporates this into the snacks she eats. Greek yogurt with berries and oatcakes with nut butter and banana are alternatives.
The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends eating 5.5 ounces of protein per day to maintain a healthy diet. Eating enough protein is important as it keeps you fuller for longer and enables the body to repair itself.
Chocolate and cookies
To avoid cravings Ludlam-Raine has regular meals so she gets enough macronutrients and can fuel her body, and keeps hydrated.
But if she craves something, she will have it. “I’ve got quite a sweet tooth,” she said.
She will have a bit of dark chocolate after her lunch. After dinner, she often wants another sweet treat and will indulge in apple crumble and custard or a chocolate cookie.
“Not a healthy one, just a standard one,” she added.