Although lately she’s most widely known for crafting complex pop songs that weave in and out of electro-industrial pop and alt-metal, Poppy also has a much less chaotic side to her. The highly experimental songwriter—who’s set to unleash her latest collection of songs this Friday with the futuristic-pop-leaning Zig—has long offset this energy with an eerily subdued YouTube persona that predated her music career.
As an extension of that latter persona, we asked Poppy to share a bit about her interest in baking by having her walk us step-by-step through the creation of her Paleo Protein Bar recipe—which she filmed, ambiently, for our enjoyment. “I like to bake because I like finding new ways to make tasty treats for my friends, and cooking and baking anything paleo is anyways a fun adventure to find tasty substitutes,” she shares. “I started eating a paleo diet around two years ago, and I feel better because of it! I like being the house that always has the best snacks!”
You could be that house, too, if you follow the steps outlined in the video below (you can also scroll past it for the full list of ingredients and to find the recipe written out). Zig drops this Friday via Sumerian Records—pre-order it here.
Paleo Protein Bites
1¼ cups regular rolled oats
¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
¼ cup vanilla protein powder
½ tablespoon chia seeds
1½ teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoons sea salt
½ cup cranberries
2 ripe bananas
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup unrefined melted coconut oil
1 tablespoon vanilla
½ cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl combine rolled oats, shredded coconut, protein powder, chia seeds, cinnamon, and salt. Stir until everything is mixed.
3. In a separate bowl combine coconut oil, mashed banana, applesauce, and vanilla.
4. Combine dry ingredients into a wet bowl and mix in cranberries and chocolate chips.
5. Form into small bite-size balls and bake for 14 minutes.